Saturday, February 11, 2012

Phat Jams #1


Aside from the mixtape I made for my Grade 7 Graduation dance, this is the earliest mixtape that I still have (and the only tape I lost the cover for). Whenever I made a new tape I would number them and this is #1, or as I titled it back then "Phat Jams #1" (but for the purpose of this site we'll just call it "Jay Swing #1"). I'm using the term mixtape loosely here because the first 9 tapes or so aren't mixed together. I wasn't even DJing at that point in my life - just a music fan. More specifically a Hip-Hop JUNKIE. Even though this tape isn't mixed, it does contain a lot of PHAT JAMS! Basically I would make a trip to Seattle, get a burger from Dicks (you know, that place where the swass like to play and the rich flaunt clout), hit up all the music stores, and buy whatever 12 inches I could get my hands on. When I got home I'd put all the PHATEST songs on one "master" tape (always a TDK SA90) and dub copies for my friends. That tape would get rinsed until my next trip down south and my next stack of new records.


This tape has all the anthems from '91. Music from House Of Pain, Heavy D (R.I.P.), A Tribe Called Quest, Leaders Of The New School, The Pharcyde & Brand New Heavies, Wrecks-N-Effect, Compton's Most Wanted, Organized Konfusion, MC Breed, Black Sheep, Das EFX, Cypress Hill, Positive K, Slick Rick, Naughty By Nature, AMG, Grand Puba, LL Cool J and a few songs that didn't quite stand the test of time (even though I'm still feeling them - ie. Justin Warfield's "Season Of The Vic").


I guess you can say this tape marks my 20+ year love affair with making mixtapes.

Can't stop, won't stop.



PHAT JAMS #1 (Side A) - Download




PHAT JAMS #1 (Side B) - Download